Thursday, May 20, 2010

Happy Birthday Gran of Mine


Do you know how much I love this woman?
There is NO way you can understand how much I ... and all my family miss her.

Gran of mine. Today is your birthday. I know you are celebrating with Jesus ... it gives me peace to be confident of that.

I miss you. But oh it gives me joy to be your grand daughter. I am a different wife because of you. I know how much it meant to you to make a home where anyone could pop over for a coffee and a chat. Every day this is what I am aiming for.

I am certainly a different mother because of you. The time you spent with us just listening, loving every moment with us ... oh the memories I have of that time. I try so hard to give that time to my daughter, even if I do need to force myself to stop in the busyness of life.

I treasure our family memories in a different way because of you. To this day I recount stories that you have told me to people I meet. Just last week I was telling someone how you used to cut the first strawberry of the year into 6 pieces so everyone could share. The stories I treasure are those little day to day things that could have been so easily forgotten. That is why I write those little things down. I want to remember - for my grandchildren.

I see my mum and dad differently because of you. My mum speaks of you so kindly and respectfully. She loved you too. And I know you loved her. She helps us keep those memories of you alive.

In dad - because of you - I saw a different side to him. The thoughtful man - who would make sure you had whatever he could get for you to brighten your life. He loved the simple things - like grocery shopping for you! And a man who looked forward every holiday to seeing you. It is with that joy that I make the most of all my visits to MY mum and dad - and am so grateful we are now only an hour away.

Gran of mine - you taught me to look for the good in people. To stop and listen. To give real value to the everyday tasks that are homemaking - and to do them well. We shared so many memories - so many. I am so blessed to have each of them.

I miss you Gran. But although I miss you I do not sit and grieve you (although like you I cry at the drop of a hat and I am crying now! It's in the genes!)

Today I celebrate you! Love you - Gran of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment